Frequently Asked Questions
Where are your shoes made?
All of our shoes are handmade in Peru, by skilled artisans.
Why do you make your shoes in Peru?
Fortress was inspired by a pair of boots originally bought in Peru in 2005. These boots featured textiles and materials that were native to the region and represented the talent and creativity of the Peruvian people. When Fortress was launched, it was important to us to keep production of these beautiful boots and shoes in Peru.
Do you pay your shoemakers fair wages?
Yes. We pay excellent wages, well above a living wage in Peru, to our talented shoemakers.
Meet our shoemakers.
Sizing & Fit
How do Fortress shoes fit?
Each style has a unique fit guide that will help you find the correct size. When on a product page, click on "What size should I order?" and follow the prompts.
How much does shipping and handling cost?
Ground shipping is free within the United States for orders over $100. For expedited shipping the cost is automatically calculated at checkout and will vary depending on the number of items purchased, where your order is being shipped and the shipping method chosen. Please review the order total before confirming your purchase.
For orders shipping to Canada, there is a $35 flat rate for shipping per item.
For other international orders, shipping method is based on the number of items in your order and where your order is going. You will have the option to choose UPS or DHL.
When can I expect my order to be delivered?
Typically orders are shipped the following business day. Fortress does not process or ship orders on Saturday or Sunday. Expedited orders will ship the following business day. You will receive a USPS or UPS tracking number along with a shipping confirmation email at the end of the day that your order ships. Please use the tracking number to get an estimated delivery date.
Does Fortress ship outside of the United States?
We ship international orders via UPS or DHL. Cost will depend on the number of items in your order and shipping address. Please note that international orders, with the exception of Canada, are final sale.
Returns & Exchanges
What is the Fortress return/exchange policy?
We offer free domestic exchanges of unworn and unused merchandise within 30 days of purchase.
When returning an item for a refund, $4.95 will be held from your refund to cover shipping and restocking. You may choose to return an item for store credit at no additional cost.
When will you be restocking styles that you are out of?
Many of our styles are season-less and can be worn year-round, so they will likely be restocked. If you would like to receive an in-stock email notification for a particular style, click the button that says "Email when available" and enter your email. When the item is restocked, you'll be the first to know.
How do I take care of my Fortress shoes?
We have a great selection of products that will help you keep your shoes looking good for years to come. Shop shoe care products here.
Fortress shoes should never be put through the washer/dryer. To properly clean your boots, you should hand wash them using the following method:
- Use a damp sponge with cold water to lightly moisten the outside of the boots. Do not submerge them in water.
- Dilute a cleaner appropriate for leather to form a solution of one part cleaner and one part water.
- Apply solution to a wet sponge and gently clean boots’ outer surface. Rinse with a clean sponge dipped in cold water.
- Stuff boots with paper towels or newspaper to allow the boots to maintain their shape during the drying process. Dry out of direct sunlight or direct heat. Direct sunlight or heat will cause excessive shrinkage. Sometimes the boots will shrink slightly after washing. This is normal and you can expect them to stretch back out after wearing them a few times.
- Brush suede boots with a suede brush or lint-free towel to restore the nap.
- Apply water and stain-resistant coating to the boots to minimize stains and dirt.
What forms of payment does Fortress accept?
We accept Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover. We also accept payment through Paypal, Klarna, and others.